Rebecka Blomqvist – The girl on fire
All images: VfL Wolfsburg
Swedish champion, professional player in the Bundesliga team VfL Wolfsburg, goal scorer in the league debut and tomorrow the road to the Olympic games will start for real for the Swedish national team. We had a chat with Rebecka Blomqvist – the girl on fire.
It was an emotional tailspin and eventful end to 2020 for the striker Rebecka Blomqvist. First, she won a long-awaited Swedish Championship gold with Kopparbergs Göteborg FC. Then she was selected for the last national team gathering of the year when the European Championship qualifier ended against Slovakia, where she scored one of the goals in the 6-0 victory, before it was time to move into the newly built apartment in the German industrial city of Wolfsburg.
– But when I thought about it, I realized that it is not to be close that is social security, it is knowing that I have everyone close to heart that is important.
– I am quite found of home and it suddenly struck me during the national team gathering that I would actually leave the social security, my loved ones. But when I thought about it, I realized that it is not to be close that is social security, it is knowing that I have everyone close to heart that is important, says the striker.
She got off to a pretty soft start to her professional life in Germany. The apartment was not a 100% finished and she had to stay with national team colleague Fridolina Rolfö during the first weeks.
– I was spoiled, she cooked for me, I did not have to stress about getting everything I need at once, we went to the trainings together and it was really nice. Now I have settled into my apartment. Wolfsburg is like a mixture of Gothenburg and my hometown Uddevalla. Nature is right outside the door, I feel right at home, both in the city and in the team.
Now the language is in focus. In her free time, she struggles with German words and grammar, there are lessons via the club and extra lessons with the help of an internet service.
– I have received good help from a person at the club when I have needed to speak German, but I want to be more independent.
– Everything is a step up, a bit higher quality, but at the same time it was very good in the top league in Sweden as well.
What is the biggest difference if you compare Wolfsburg to Gothenburg?
– There are many elements in all exercises to keep track of. For example, zones with different numbers of touches, I need to think much more now in the beginning when everything is new. Everything is a step up, a bit higher quality, but at the same time it was very good in the top league in Sweden as well.
What does a typical day in Wolfsburg look like for you?
– We train at 11.00 or 15.00, otherwise I study German and psychology, meet up with friends, fix the apartment or watch series. So, it continues.
Did you forget to bring something from home that you miss?
– No, not that I can think of. I wanted to be sure that I got the right brand of taco seasoning, chocolate and other things that I wasn’t sure I could find in Germany. I have everything I need so far.
Next up are international matches against Austria and Malta. A new exciting football year lies ahead of CMG profile Rebecka Blomqvist.